S.Pellegrino Young Chef Academy is pleased to announce that the Grand Finale of the 2022-2023 S.Pellegrino Young Chef Academy Competition will be held in Milan on 4 and 5 October. The event identifies the best young chefs in the world and celebrates the talents that will lead the evolution of the gastronomic sector.
About San Pellegrino Young Chef Academy
Gastronomy has the potential to transform society, shaping a more inclusive, more sustainable future. But to do so takes talent. That’s why S.Pellegrino has created S.Pellegrino Young Chef Academy, a platform to attract, connect and nurture the next generation of culinary talents. An environment that will empower them through education, mentoring and networking opportunities, as well as through the renowned global competition.
The Academy opens its doors to members from over 70 different countries, ensuring that talent is not constrained by geography, ethnicity, or gender. It’s a place where passionate young chefs interact with the most influential players in global gastronomy, and where together they cultivate an inspiring culinary community.
The jurors of the 2023 San Pellegrino Awards
Those competing for the grand prize will have the opportunity to cook their signature dishes again, this time in front of a grand jury composed of seven giants of international gastronomy: Eneko Atxa, Riccardo Camanini, Hélène Darroze, Vicky Lau, Pía León, Julien Royer and Nancy Silverton.
The jurors will evaluate the finalists based on three golden rules: technical ability, creativity and personal belief, and the candidates’ potential to create positive change in society through food. On their way to the Grand Finale, the young chefs will continue to work closely with their respective mentors to perfect their recipes.
The contenders of the 2023 San Pellegrino Awards
The 15 regional winners of the S.Pellegrino Young Chef Academy Award, at local level, and their mentors are:
- Erick Alfredo Bautista Chacon, mentored by Lula Martin Del Campo, with the signature dish ‘Oaxaca, its land and its hands’ (Latin America & Caribbean)
- Raul Garcia, mentored by Stefan Heilemann, with the signature dish ‘Pike perch, mussels, artichoke, vin jaune, barigoule nage’ (West Europe)
- Anton Lebersorger, mentored by Daniel Gottschlich with the signature dish ‘Bresse chicken, carrot from Schmidener Feld, kimchi, and Thai béarnaise’ (Central Europe)
- Marcus Clayton, mentored by Lisa Goodwin-Allen, with the signature dish ‘Celeriac, apple and mushroom’ (UK)
- Robin Wagner, mentored by Peter Gilmore, with the signature dish ‘Smoked celeriac, Granny Smith apple and crispy taro’ (Pacific)
- Pierre-Olivier Pelletier, mentored by Suzanne Barr, with the signature dish ‘Young aged and smoked duck with sweet grass, yellow birch syrup lacquer with crispy cereal, carotene dressing, roasted cereal gravy, and verge d’or‘(Canada)
- Jet Loos, mentored by Dick Middelweerd, with the signature dish ‘Flavour of the sea’ (North Europe);
- Daniel Garwood, mentored by Nina Compton, with the signature dish ‘Aged duck and persimmon in tak cheongju with banchan through the eyes of a traveller’ (US)
- Yi Zhang, mentored by Stefano Bacchelli, with the signature dish ‘A trip to Guangxi’ (Mainland China)
- Ian Goh, mentored by Dave Pynt, with the signature dish ‘Heritage lamb’ (Asia)
- Grigoris Kikis, mentored by Georgianna Hiliadaki, with the signature dish ‘The story of cod’ (South East Europe & Mediterranean)
- Nelson Freitas, mentored by Filipe Carvalho, with the signature dish ‘Crispy red mullet, sea urchin and homemade black garlic’ (Iberian Countries)
- Mythrayie Iyer, mentored by Johnson Ebenezer, with the signature dish ‘Barter – Evolution of Indian cooking through the age of exploration’ (Africa, Middle East & South Asia)
- Michele Antonelli, mentored by Andrea Aprea, with the signature dish ‘Spin the cauliflower’ (Italy);
- Camille Saint-M’Leux, mentored by Christope Bacquié, with the signature dish ‘Charcoal Chateauneuf beef, cuttlefish fat and smoked herring eggs’ (France)
*Cover picture by Sebastian Coman as available on unsplash.com
Be First to Comment
You must log in to post a comment.