The Piazza del Duomo
This is the heart of this concentric city. It has a 17.000 square meters surface and it is surrounded by several buildings on three sides while the fourth one is occupied by the cathedral. At its centre there is the equestrian statue of king Vittorio Emanuele the II, the first king of Italy.
The two porticos on the right and left side were designed by architect Giuseppe Mengoni in 1865 while the building right next to the Duomo, the Palazzo dell’Arengario, designed by architects Portaluppi, Muzi, Magistretti and Griffini now hosts the Museo del Novecento.
The construction of the Arengario took almost twenty years (from 1937 to 1956) and belongs to the so called fascist architecture (another example of this architectural style is the court of Milan).
Opposite to the cathedral there is Palazzo Carminati which is named after a restaurant that used to be in the piazza. The construction of the palazzo was commissioned by Giacomo Cesati, a wealthy Milanese man, around 1860.